Pasta is not my first choice on the healthy, whole food eating spectrum, but sometimes it is so very good and satisfying and oh so quick to make a huge batch on those days you just need a meal on the table. I have made this with gluten free and whole wheat pasta, both are doable, but I prefer organic penne cooked just right. Use a quality store bought Pesto or use the Vegan recipe here. Toss ups a quick salad for the side. You can add grilled chicken if you like.
Pesto Pasta with White and Green Beans
This recipe is very flexible. Add small white or cannellini beans, flat or regular green beans or broccoli can be used for the veg. There are many great prepared pestos that work great in this for a super fast meal.
- 1 lb organic Penne Pasta
- fistfull of crisp Green Beans or other green Veg, rinsed and cut in half
- 1-2 cups rinsed and drained White Beans
- 8-10 Cherry Tomatoes
- 4-5 Tablespoons Prepared Pesto or Vegan Pesto
- Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
- Red Pepper Sprinkles to taste
- Grated Parmesan
- Bring a big pot of water to boil and add pasta.
- Cook and stir 9 minutes after return to boil
- Toss in the Green Beans or Veg, stir and cook 2 minutes longer
- Drain and toss in the tomatoes and Beans
- Gently mix in the Pesto and top with a splash of olive oil or Parmesan shavings
A yummy alternative to cheesy pesto sauces.
- 4 Garlic Cloves
- 1 big bunch fresh Basil Leaves
- 1 handful fresh Flat Leaf Parsley
- 1/4 cup toasted Pine Nuts
- Olive Oil
- Squeeze of Lemon
- Sea Salt
- Whiz the Garlic, Pine Nuts and Basil and Parsley in the Vitamix
- Turn to low and drizzle in the Lemon Squeeze and enough Olive Oil to make a nice consistency
- Season with Salt to taste