These little Turkey and Herb Burgers are so versatile. The original recipe is from Ottelenghi, but this version is a bit firmer and adds a hit of fiber with the oats. You can serve these as burgers or make them small and serve with pasta or polenta with marinara or very small as bite-size appetizers with a lemon/yogurt or marinara dip.
Turkey & Veg Patties
You can use different kids of Veg here. I have used zucchini, squash and carrots all with good results. Using a food processor to grate the veg and chop the herbs makes these a snap to prepare
- 2 Cups Grated Zucchini or other Veg
- 1 Bunch Green Onions, chopped
- 3 cloves Garlic, chopped
- 1 lb Ground Turkey or Chicken
- 1 Lemon, Zested and Squeezed
- 1 small bunch Cilantro, chopped
- 1 palmful of Fresh Mint, chopped
- 1 small bunch Italian Parsley, chopped
- 1 tsp. ground Cumin
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1-11/2 cups ground Oats (whirl them up in the Vitamix or food Processor)
- Olive Oil for browning
- Heat oven to 200c or 400f
- Mash everything together in a bowl except the Oats.
- Add enough Oats until it binds together.
- Shape into small patties, larger burgers or very small little flat patties for appetizers. It helps to have a slightly flat side for browning.
- Heat Olive Oil in a shallow frying pan until hot and sear for 2 minutes on each side.
- Transfer to a parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Bake at 200c or 400f for about 20 minutes until cooked through and no longer pink.