These meatless little morsels are amazing smothered with Marinara. You can serve with Pasta or Polenta and top with shredded basil or parmesan and Oven Roasted Broccoli and a Toss it up Salad. For the meaty eaters at the table I make Turkey Patties.
Vegan Mushroom "Meatballs"
Yield 12 meatballs
These are great with Marinara Sauce and Polenta or Pasta. You can also make them very small and serve as an appetizer with Marinara Dip. I chop the mushrooms, onions garlic and herbs and seeds all in the food processor, making this a snap to prepare. These are Vegan but you can add an egg to help bind them if you like.
- 2 cups Mushrooms (after chopping), chopped fine in the food processor-alot of shrooms!
- 1 large Shallot, chopped fine or regular Onion
- 4 cloves Garlic, chopped fine
- 1 handful Seeds: Sunflower or Pumpkin
- Splash of Sherry Vinegar or Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 bunch Italian Parsley, chopped fine
- 1/2 tsp dried Oregano
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 1/2 c Oats, ground fine
- Heat oven to 200c or 400f
- Us a food processor to chop the mushrooms fine, but not mushy.
- Heat a swirl of Olive Oil in a shallow fry pan and sauté the mushrooms, sprinkle with a dash of sea salt
- Chop the garlic and Shallot or Onion in the food processor and add to the mushrooms and sauté until soft and beginning to brown and have released their juices.
- Add the Vinegar, and grind of pepper, toss in the Parsley, Oregano and Lemon Zest, stir once or twice and remove from heat.
- Grind the Seeds fairly fine, but not into butter
- Add everything together in a bowl except the oats. Let cool a bit and add just enough oats to be able to form into balls.
- Make small or large balls and place on a lightly oiled cookie sheet.
- Bake at 200c or 400f for about 20 minutes until beginning to brown on the outside, but not dry out.
- Serve with Marinara over spaghetti or polenta.