Mexican food is my go to for a quick dinner. Almost anything tastes great in a tortilla. These Black Bean and Roasted Sweet Potato Tacos have just the right amount of sweet, creamy and crunchy in them. Add a hit of peppers for a full blown array of flavors.
I am super picky about my tortillas since I eat so many of them. GMO corn is in everything so choose organic corn tortillas. They should have only 3 ingredients. Corn-Lime-Water….that is it. Choose organic flour tortillas with no preservatives or additives. These little tacos are stuffed with roasted sweet potatoes, corn, black beans and a crunch of cabbage. The natural sweetness from the corn and potatoes pairs well with a kick of salsa or hot peppers and a cool tempering of cabbage. They are super fast to make and you can add some grilled chicken for the non vegetarians.
Black Bean & Roasted Sweet Potato Tacos
These are super fast to make. You can use leftover black beans or canned. The toppings choices are almost endless. I put everything on the table and have the kids make their own version.
- 1 bag Frozen Organic Corn
- Black Beans or Pinto Beans-leftover or canned, drained and rinsed
- 4 large Sweet Potatoes or Yams, peeled and diced
- 2 large Red Onions, peeled,cut in half and sliced
- 1 head red or white Cabbage, shredded
- 12 Organic Corn or Flour Tortillas-Heated in a dry skillet
- Roasted Chicken (optional)
- chopped Cilantro, Salsa, Cheese, Tomatoes, Jalapeños, Sour Cream, Avocado or Guacamole
- Heat oven to 200c or 400f
- Lightly spray or glaze two cookie sheets with olive oil
- Spread the Corn on one half of the first sheet and the onions on the second half.
- Toss the Sweet Potatoes on the other sheet and add a sprinkle of Olive Oil, ground Salt & Pepper
- Pop in the oven and cook the Corn and Onions about 20 min until starting to brown.
- Cook the Sweet Potatoes about 30 min until soft inside and starting to brown on the outside.
- Heat the Beans. If you are using canned beans, add a little veggie broth and a sprinkling of Cumin and Chili powder or Southwest Seasoning.
- Assemble tacos with Sweet Potatoes, Roasted Onion, Corn, Beans and whatever Toppings you fancy.