Chicken with White Beans and Pesto is super simple to make but really good and versatile. The original recipe came from The Feed Zone Cookbook. This is a great book with simple recipes for athletes. You can cook it in the slow cooker or the oven or the stove top. Whip up a Pesto or use a good store bought version. It is great as leftovers hot or cold and you can add some pasta to it for more carbs if you like. I like to serve it with simple baked sweet potatoes and grilled eggplant and zucchini on the side. You can make a pot without chicken and serve it over rice, grains or pasta for the Vegetarians in the family.
Chicken with White Beans and Pesto
Yield 4 servings
Cook in the slow cooker, oven or stove top. Canned beans tend to turn mushy but if you add them just before serving and just heat through you can pull it off.
- 4 Organic Chicken Breasts
- 1 large Onion, chopped
- 2 Carrots, chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic, chopped
- 2 Stalks Celery, chopped
- 2 cups White Beans, soaked overnight or quick soaked in the pressure cooker and cooked 5 min
- 4 cups Vegetable Broth
- 1 cup White Wine
- Sea Salt and Pepper
- Pesto to Serve
- Preheat oven to 350f or 175c
- Heat a glug of Olive Oil in a dutch oven or other lidded oven proof pot
- Sear the Chicken Breasts over medium high heat until browned about 2 minutes on each side
- Season with Sea Salt and Pepper
- Toss in the Garlic, Onions, Carrots and Celery and saute a few minutes
- Add the Broth, Wine and Beans (unless they are canned)
- Cover and cook 1-1/2 hours
- Stir in Canned Beans if using and return to the oven for 15 minutes
- Serve with Prepared Pesto and a swig of good Olive Oil and chopped fresh Parsley.