Creamy butternut squash accented with a hint of curry and finished with a crunch of sweet roasted corn.
Roasted Corn & Butternut Squash Soup
Yield 6 -8 cups
- 1 large butternut squash, halved and seeds scooped out
- 1 large yellow onion, halved but not peeled
- 1 head of garlic, top sliced off
- 1 Tablespoon each of olive oil & butter
- 1 Tablespoon mild curry powder
- 2 cups of frozen or fresh corn cut off the cob
- 4-6 cups veggie broth
- Preheat oven to 400f or 180c use convection if you have it
- Put the olive oil and butter in a baking sheet and pop into hot oven for 5 min, then remove
- With a pastry brush, brush the hot oil/butter inside the squash and on the cut side of the onions
- Sprinkle the curry powder over the cut side of the squash and onions, rubbing it in
- Place onions and squash flesh side down on the baking sheet, toss the whole garlic on the tray
- Lightly oil or spay another cookie sheet with olive oil.
- Spread corn in single layer on the tray
- Put everything in the oven and take corn out after 20 min or so when it is just browning
- Bake the veggies another 20 minutes until they are soft.
- Remove and let cool slightly
- Scoop squash and onions out of the skin and put in the VitaMix
- Toss in 3-6 roasted garlic cloves
- Add 2-3 cups broth and process until smooth and creamy.
- Put in a soup pan and add broth until it is the consistency you like. You can also use a hand blender.
- Serve topped with a sprinkle of roasted corn, ground pepper and a few pepper flakes and parsley if you like.